The Closing Session of the First International conference of the Arab Council for Sustainable Development at Amman Arab University
The activities of the first international conference of the Arab Council for Sustainable Development, (the role of Arab universities as incubators for sustainable development: reality and aspirations), were concluded in Amman Arab University. During the two-day conference sessions, (99) research papers were discussed in person. The research papers were distributed on eight main themes and on (13) discussion sessions in which (18) Arab countries participated in addition to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, participated by number of Excellences, and academic researchers .In addition to that, recommendations were emerged from these research papers that would raise sustainable development in all its fields and achieve its various goals to solve society's problems in an innovative way. These recommendations are as follows:
- Linking education to sustainable development.
- Establishing sustainability councils in universities and at higher administrative levels.
- Analyzing the performance strategies of business incubators as an essential part of sustainable development.
- Activating partnerships between universities and community institutions in their various fields.
- Establishing specialized committees in the fields of sustainable development to follow up on its progress in Arab universities.
- Developing and directing research and scientific projects in Arab universities to address issues and areas of sustainable development.
- Promoting cultural, ethical and value awareness in the areas of sustainable development for students and staff of Arab universities.
- Integrating sustainability projects in Arab universities with local and international sustainability projects.
- Increasing and supporting sustainable projects in Arab universities.
- Directing and motivating university students and employees by creating awareness campaigns, dealing with negative phenomena in sustainable development.
- Adopting green economy projects and invest environmental resources in ways and methods that ensure the preservation of the integrity of the environment.
- Establishing a unit for sustainable development in each university to disseminate the culture of sustainable development.
- Providing the necessary technological techniques to implement and sustain sustainable development projects.
It is noteworthy that the work of the conference was launched under the generous patronage of His Excellency the Secretary-General of the Association of Arab Universities, Prof. Amr Izzat Salameh, in the presence of the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Amman Arab University, Dr. Omar Mashhoor Al-Jazi, the President of the University, Prof. Muhamad Al-Widyan, and a number of their excellences, cultural attachés, representatives of diplomatic missions and university presidents, with great local and international participation.