Amman Arab University was established in 1997 by a decision of the Higher Education Council No. (1476) on 24/11/1997, as a private, non-profit University specialized in higher studies, under the name “Amman Arab University for Graduate Studies”; as the first Jordanian University specialized in postgraduate programs for masters and doctoral studies. On 9/30/1998, the Higher Education Council granted approval for the University to begin teaching by the decision No. (1625), as the University received its first group of students since the beginning of the second semester of the 1999/2000 academic year.
The University's path passed in two phases: The first- was limited to graduate programs, and the second- started in 2009 in opening programs for bachelor degree, and the name of the University was changed to “Amman Arab University”.
Since the establishment of the University, the administrators have exerted their efforts to be an effective partner at the national and regional levels to enhance the quality of education, to secure an environment that promotes the student’s thinking as an active and creative element for the benefit of society, and to be an attractive environment for students from the neighboring and foreign countries.
The University constantly endeavors to achieve excellence, enhance the spirit of entrepreneurship and creativity, provide quality education, distinguished research, and community service. The University is also seeking to supply the labor market with graduates equipped with knowledge and training, qualified to excel in the field of vocational training, and able to meet the requirements of the labor market. The University works to encourage scientific, critical and creative thinking, and to achieve excellence in theory and practice. To achieve this, the University is developing its study plans to keep pace with the rapid world of change and progress, in addition to developing educational skills and the blended courses that serve the community and contribute to its development.
The University promotes multiplicity of ideas, civilized thinking, cultural interaction, acceptance of the other, and rejection of all kinds of extremism and violence. The University, from its establishment, provided the society locally and regionally with highly qualified alumni based their knowledge on competent and distinguished faculty members holding high degrees from different distinguished Universities, locally, regionally and internationally. The University currently consists of nine faculties as follows:
• Faculty of Educational and Psychological Sciences
• Faculty of Business
• Faculty of Law
• Faculty of Computer Science and Informatics
• Faculty of Arts and Sciences
• Faculty of Engineering
• Faculty of Pharmacy
• Faculty of Aviation Sciences
• Faculty of Shari’a
In addition to the scientific centers
The University is located on Jordan Street in the Mobus area, 12 km north of the capital, Amman. The new campus of the University has been completed since the academic year 2013/2014; it is located on an area overlooking the capital, Amman, Balqa Province, Baq’a and near province of Jerash.
The University has been in continuous growth to fulfill the optimum criteria of Quality and the it also endeavors to increase the number of majors to meet the society needs. The current buildings exceed 15,000 square meters, in addition to more than 5,000 square meters of yards, green spaces and playgrounds.