Dr. Faisal has more than 15 years of experience in education & research. Before working at AAU in 2022, Dr. Faisal was an Associate Professor of Educational Research and Evaluation at Imam Abdulrahman bin Faisal University in Saudi Arabia. Prior to that, he held academic positions at Qatar University in the State of Qatar and King Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Faisal has published a number of research articles in international and local indexed journals. He served as a consultant for a number of organizations over the course of his career, including Qiyas, Mawhiba, the National Center for Academic Accreditation and Evaluation in Saudi Arabia, and the Bahraini Education & Training Quality Authority.
Dr. Faisal holds a Ph.D. in Educational research and Evaluation from Ohio University and was honored the distinguished award “Tamayuz for outstanding educational research” from Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Foundation, UAE.
Dr. Faisal research interests focus on measurement and evaluation topics. Specifically, investigations of the emerging educational issues relating to improving academic achievement, implementation of advanced quantitative data analysis methodology, and the development of student-centered teaching methods.
1) Rababah, A., Khlaifat, D., Abdelfattah, F., Busaad, Y., Alqaryouti, I., & Al-Awamleh, A. (2022). The Impact of Covid-19 On Parents of Children with Disability: Educational Needs and Challenges. International Journal of Instruction, 15(4), 701-722.
2) Hemdan, A., Abdelfattah, F., & Opoku, M. (2022). Multi-informant assessment of high-achieving students’ behavioral and emotional strengths. Journal of Child and Family Studie, 31, 2303–2317. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-022-02239-8
3) Abdelfattah, F., Obeidat, O., Salahat, Y., BinBakr, M. & Al Sultan, A. (2021). The predictive validity of entrance scores and short-term performance for long-term success in engineering education. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education, Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print. https://doi.org/10.1108/JARHE-04-2021-0126
4) Jansen, P., Siebertz, M., Hofmann, P., Zayed, K., Zayed, D., Abdelfattah, F., Fernández-Méndez, L. & Meneghetti, C. (2021). Does self-compassion relate to the fear of the future during the 2020 coronavirus pandemic? A cross-cultural study. Cogent Psychology, 8(1), 1-16. DOI: 10.1080/23311908.2021.19764380
5) Alaedein, J., Abdelfattah, F., Abu-Hilal, M., Dodeen, H., Al Bahrani, M. & Atoum, A. (2021 accepted). Psychological Anxiety, Conspiracy beliefs, and the Media's Influence on Fears During the Corona Pandemic. Social Sciences Journal- Kuwait University, XX(x), XX-XX.
6) Abdelfattah, F., Abu-Hilal, M., Dodeen, H., Alaedein, J., Al Bahrani, M. & Atoum, A. (2021). The psychological effects of the Corona pandemic (COVID-19) on the Arab citizen and his responses to it: A cross-sectional study in several Arab countries. Dirasat: Human and Social Sciences, 48(1), 44-69.
7) Abdelfattah, F.; Rababah, A.; Alqaryouti, I.; Alsartawi, Z.; Khlaifat, D.; Awamleh, A. (2021). Exploring Feelings of Worry and Sources of Stress during COVID-19 Pandemic among Parents of Children with Disability: A Sample from Arab Countries. Education Sciences, 11, 216. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci11050216
8) Abdelfattah, F. (2020). Suitability of Adapted Student Ratings of Instruction: Indicators of University Teaching Effectiveness. The International Journal of Assessment and Evaluation, 28(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.18848/2327-7920/CGP/v28i01/1-16
9) Abdelfattah, F. & Lam, J. (2018). Linking homework to achievement in mathematics: An examination of 8th grade Arab participation in TIMSS 2015. International Journal of Instruction, 11(4), 607-624. DOI: 10.12973/iji.2018.11438a
10) Abdelfattah, F. (2017). Suitability of Motivation Expectancy–Value Model to Interpret Relations of Attitude, Self-Efficacy, and Effort with Achievement in Statistics and Expectation. Educational Sciences, Yarmouk University, 13(4), 405-418. (in Arabic)
11) Wiseman, A. W., Abdelfattah, F. A. & Almassaad, A. (2016). The Intersection of Citizenship Status, STEM Education, and Expected Labor Market Participation in Gulf Cooperation Council Countries. Digest of Middle East Studies, 25, 362–392. doi:10.1111/dome.12087
12) Al Shannag, Q., Schreier, H., Abdelfattah, F., & Alshaya, F. (2016). Lost in Memorization: The Case of Science Instruction in KSA Schools and the Argument for a Promotion of Science Literacy Based on Formative Assessment Practices. Journal of Emerging Trends in Educational Research and Policy Studies (JETERAPS), 7(4), 292-301. (ISSN:2141-6990)
13) Areepattamannil, S., Abdelfattah, F., Mahasneh, R. A., Khine, M. S., Welch, A. G., Melkonian, M., et al. (2016). Prediction of mathematics work ethic and performance from behavioral, normative, and control beliefs among Qatari adolescents. Journal of Adolescence, 46, 38-44. doi: 10.1016/j.adolescence.2015.10.016
14) Haroun, R., Ng, D., Abdelfattah, F., AlSalouli, M. (2016). Gender Difference in Teachers’ Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching in the Context of Single-Sex Classrooms. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 12(2), 383-396. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-015-9631-8
15) Tigezza, M., Abdelfattah, F., AlSadaawi, A. & Alturki, A. (2015). Assessment Practices of Science Teachers in Middle School Based on Classification of Performance on International Examinations. Journal of Educational and Psychological Studies-SQU, 9(1), 160-178. (in Arabic)
16) Marsh, H., Lüdtke, O., Nagengast, B., Trautwein, U., Abduljabbar, A., Abdelfattah, F., & Jansen, M. (2015). Dimensional Comparison Theory: Paradoxical relations between self-beliefs and achievements in multiple domains. Learning and Instruction, 35, 16-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2014.08.005.
17) Marsh, H., Abduljabbar, A., Parker, P., Morin, A., Abdelfattah, F., Nagengast, B., Möller, J., & Abu-Hilal, M. (2015). The Internal/External Frame of Reference Model of Self-Concept and Achievement Relations: Age-Cohort and Cross-Cultural Differences. American Educational Research Journal, 52(1), 168-202. doi:10.3102/0002831214549453
18) Marsh, H., Abduljabbar, A., Morin, A., Parker, P., Abdelfattah, F., Nagengast, B., & Abu-Hilal, M. (2015). The Big-Fish-Little-Pond Effect: Generalizability of Social Comparison Processes Over Two Age Cohorts from Western, Asian, and Middle Eastern Islamic Countries. Journal of Educational Psychology, 107(1), 258-271. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0037485
19) Albursan, I, Alrwais, A., & Abdelfattah, F. (2015). Formative and Summative Evaluation Practices for the Intermediate Mathematics Teachers in the Kingdome of Saudi Arabia. Journal of Educational and Psychological Sciences, 16(2), 93-122. (in Arabic)
20) Abu-Hilal, M., Abdelfattah, F., Shumrani, S., Dodeen, H, Abduljabber, A., & Marsh, H. (2014). Mathematics and science achievements predicted by self-concept and subject value among 8th grade Saudi students: Invariance across gender. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, 3(4), 268-283. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ipp0000022
21) Dodeen, H., Abdelfattah, F. & Alshumrani, S. (2014). Test-taking skills of secondary students: the relationship with motivation, attitudes, anxiety and attitudes towards tests. South African Journal of Education, 34 (2), 1-18. ISSN-0256-0100
22) Abu-hashem, S., Abdelfattah, F., & Ahmad, N. (2014). Assessment Knowledge and Skills of Mathematics and Science Middle-school Saudi teachers. International Journal for research in Education, 35, 1-30. (in Arabic)
(23) Abdelfattah, F. & Mohammad T. (2013). Factorial Structure of Professional Dispositions scale for candidates in teacher preparation programs in the context of academic accreditation standards. Journal of Education and Psychology (KSU), 41, 67-91. (in Arabic)
(24) Al Shannag, Q., Tairab, H., Dodeen, H., & Abdelfattah, F. (2013). Linking teachers’ quality and student achievement in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Singapore: The impact of teachers’ background variables on student achievement. Journal of Baltic Science Education, 12(5), 652-665. ISSN 1648–3898
(25) Abu-Hilal, M., Abdelfattah, F., Alshumrani, S., Abduljabbar, A., & Marsh, H. (2013). Construct validity of self-concept in TIMSS’s student background questionnaire: a test of separation and conflation of cognitive and affective dimensions of self-concept among Saudi eighth graders. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 28(4), 1201-1220. DOI: 10.1007/s10212-012-0162-1
(26) Marsh, H., Abduljabbar, S., Abu-Hilal, M., Morin, A. J., Abdelfattah, F., Leung, K. C., Xu,M. K., Nagengast, B. & Parker, P. (2013). Factorial, convergent and discriminant validity of TIMSS math and science motivation measures: a comparison of Arab and Anglo-Saxon countries. Journal of Educational Psychology, 105(1), 108-128. doi:10.1037/a0029907
(27) Dodeen, H., Abdelfattah, F., Shumrani, S. & Abu Hilal, M. (2012). The Effects of Teachers’ Qualifications, Practices, and Perceptions on Student Achievement in TIMSS Mathematics: A Comparison of Two Countries. International Journal of Testing, 12(1), 61-77. https://doi.org/10.1080/15305058.2011.621568.
(28) Abu-Hilal, M., Al-Baili, M., Saratawi, A., Abdelfattah, F. & Qaryouti, I. (2011). Psychometric Properties of the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence (WASI) with an Arab Sample of School Students. Individual Differences Research, 9(4), 219-230. DOI: 10.1177/0734282912467756
(29) Abdelfattah, F. (2011). Statistical Power and Effect Size in Educational and Psychological Research. Educational Sciences and Islamic studies, KSU Journal 23(2), 195-214 (in Arabic).
(30) Ayesh, A., Qamhieh, N., Tit, N., & Abdelfattah, F. (2010). The effect of student use of the free-body diagram representation on their performance. Educational Research, 1(10) 505-511. (ISSN: 2141-5161)
(31) Abdelfattah, F. (2010). The Relationship between Motivation and Achievement in Low-stakes Examinations. Social Behavior and Personality, 38(2), 159-167. DOI:10.2224/sbp.2010.38.2.159
(32) Abdelfattah, F. (2009). Response Latency Effects on Classical Test Theory Indices and Pass/Fail Decisions. International Journal of Applied Educational Studies, 6 (1), 30-45.
Fundamentals of Educational Statistics, Psychological Statistics I, Psychological Statistics II. Educational Assessment, Educational Psychology, Thinking Skills, and Educational Assessment for early childhood.
Educational Evaluation, Educational statistics, Educational Research, Psychological Measures and Tests, Psychology Texts in English, Learning Theories, Research Methods, Measurement & Evaluation, Advanced Psychological Statistics, and Measurement Applications for Exceptional Individuals.
2015- 2022 Associate Professor, College of Ed. & Psych. Sciences Amman Arab University, Jordan
2015- 2022 Associate Professor, College of Education Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, KSA
2014– 2015 Associate Professor, Psych. Sciences Dept. Qatar University, Qatar
2013 – 2014 Associate Professor, Psychology Dept. King Saud University, KSA
2009 – 2013 Assistant Professor, Psychology Dept. King Saud University, KSA
2008 – 2009 Consultant of Measurement & Evaluation Ministry of Education, Bahrain
2004 – 2007 Graduate assistant Ohio University, USA
1995 – 2004 Psychology Specialist United Arab Emirates University, UAE
1993 – 1995 Counselor Ministry of Education, Jordan
Head of Academic Research Unit, Vice rector’s office for academic affairs, IAU, 2019.
Assessment Coordinator, College of Education at Qatar University, 2014- 2015.
Assessment Coordinator, College of Education at KSU, 2010- 2014.
System Administrator for TaskStream (Electronic system for collecting performance tasks & portfolio, COE), KSU, 2011 - 2014.
Consultant to the Vice Rector of Quality and Development, KSU, Sept. 2009 – June 2012.
Chair of research group "Developmental Assessment of Science and Mathematics Education" in The Excellence Research Center of Science and Mathematics Education, KSU, March 2012- 2014.
Member of external reviewers’ team for undergraduate program at Imam Mohammad University, 2019.
Chair of external reviewers’ team for a graduate program at Bahrain University, 2017-2018.
Member of the Scientific and reviewing committee for the 1st scientific meeting, College of Education, Jubail, 2018.
Member of the reviewers’ committee for Educational Research Prize, Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoom Prize, 2017.
Member of the editorial board of the International Education Journal/ UAEU, 2020- now.
Member of the editorial board of Educational Sciences Journal/ King Saud University, 2016- 2021.
Member of the editorial board of Arab Journal of Security Studies and Training, NAIF Arab University for Security Sciences, 2013- 2020.
Scientific Steering committee for the 16th Annual meeting of Saudi Educational & Psychological Association (Gesten), 2012-2013. (Member)
Scientific Steering Committee for International Arab Conference on Quality Assurance in Higher Education, 2011- . (Member)
Reviewer for international and regional academic journals (e.g. SQU Journal, Bahrain Journal for Psychology and Education, educational researcher, Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, International Journal of Education, International Journal of Instruction, Learning and Individual differences, International Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology).
Reviewer for local academic journals (e.g. Journal of Education and Psychology – Gesten, King Saud University, Educational Sciences Journal).